Introduction to the Yoga of Sound: Mantra, Raga, Bhajan/Kirtan (15 hours via ZOOM)
The power of sound in the form of mantra, song, and music has been used as a tool for connection, healing and reaching higher states of consciousness since ancient times.
In this course I will be presenting an introduction into these traditional Indian sound practices that can be incorporated in a personal yoga or meditation practice or used in a class.
In this course, learn:
- History and development of Sound: Om, Mantra, Sloka, Raga, Bhajan/Kirtan
- Understand and use Raga
- Basic Sanskrit pronunciation using transliteration
- Power of mantra: learn simple 2-4 word mantras
- Gayatri Mantra
- Vocal exercises and Sargam (Indian notes) for singing
- Learn bhajans in kirtan style along with the stories of the gods: Ganesha, Male and Female Trinities, Rama/Sita, Krishna/Radha
- How to connect to the mantra and songs
- How to sing with basic Indian rhythms
- PDF document with exercises, lyrics, and translations
The 15 hour group course consists of 1 hour and 15 minutes once per week for 3 months.
Classes will be held live via Zoom. I will send a link after registration. Recordings of the class will be sent out afterwards, so you may practice or cannot attend a class.
I have been immersed in sacred sound since birth and have learned and practiced mantra, bhajan/kirtan, and raga from a very young age. In this course I will bring in knowledge from my Gurus, lectures, parents, friends, aunties and uncles, as well as from doing my own personal research. In the last 2 years, I have been focusing on Dhrupad, an ancient form of singing from the Sama Veda as well as working towards my Raga Therapy certification. I am presenting only what I have learned and personally practice.
Dates: Thursdays in April - June 2019
Time: 7:30pm (PST)
Price is in USD.
Optional payments plans and sliding scale upon request.
Fees are non-refundable after the first class.
Payment is made with STRIPE in this website. I also have Paypal. Please email me first at email@example.com as Paypal does not always inform me of the details. https://www.paypal.me/RishimaBahadoorsingh
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/rayoflightmusic108
Facebook group link: https://m.facebook.com/groups/488216968237991
10% of all proceeds go to the Peruvian school I run with Sol Community Education Society